Breast Reduction Surgery
Patients with large breasts are often plagued by neck pain, back pain, or shoulder pain. There are patients who do not wish to have large breasts and make a personal choice that smaller breasts will enhance their body contour. Patients often experience limitations in their activity and lifestyle secondary to the size of their breasts. Patients with uneven breasts will often benefit from a breast reduction to create a more symmetric appearance. Dr. Spence has successfully performed many breast reductions at his Orlando, Florida plastic surgery practice. Breast Reductions are performed at his onsite fully accredited state of the art surgical suite. Schedule your consultation today at 407-999-2585 with Dr. Kenrick Spence at Hillcrest Plastic Surgery. Also feel free to browse through our Breast Reduction Before & After Photos.
Evaluation for Breast Reduction
- Overall good state of health
- Evaluation of the breast and chest to detect any asymmetry which needs to be corrected
- Evaluation of the body proportion to detect the breast size to enhance body contour
- Breast measurements are taken, e.g. chest bone to the nipple, the nipple to the fold of the breast.
- Determination of the amount of ptosis (droop) of the breast; this is measured as grade I, II, or III. Grade III is the worst, resulting when both the nipple and the breast tissue lay way below the fold of the breast.
- Examination for shoulder grooving (bra straps cutting into the shoulders) and inframammary intertrigo (a rash beneath the fold of the breast).
- Determination of:
- Asymmetry (unequal breasts)
- Sensitivity of the nipples
- Extent of stretch marks
Preparation for Breast Reduction
- Mammogram prior to surgery, as needed
- Must stop smoking at least 6 weeks prior to surgery
- Must stop all blood thinning agents, such as Aspirin or Vitamin E, prior to surgery
Procedure: Breast Reduction
There are several different types of breast reduction. The general principle is the removal of breast tissue and skin, moving the nipple to a higher position on the chest wall, and reshaping the breast to a more youthful appearance. Dr. Spence believes in performing breast reductions with the shortest scars possible. The most popular breast reduction in his practice involves the lollipop, or vertical, scar. Other kinds of scars include the anchor scar with an incision around the crease of the breast. A periareolar, or donut, scar in a circular fashion around the nipple is sometimes used. Liposuction is useful to bring the breast down a cup size in a breast with good skin elasticity.In cases of extremely large breasts, the nipple may be removed completely and reattached as a graft; this is termed a free nipple graft.
All breast reductions procedures are not the same. The technique of breast reduction will be chosen based on the distance the nipple is to be moved up on the chest wall, the size of the breast, the extent of the reduction, and the shape of the breast to be created.
Some breast reductions produce a flatter, broader breast while others produce a more projecting breast. Dr. Spence uses 5 different types of pedicle techniques depending on the shape of breast he wishes to create:
- Superior pedicle
- Medical pedicle
- Inferior pedicle
- Central pedicle
- Bipedicle (a combination of pedicles)
The pedicle is the method by which the nipple is kept attached and moved up on the chest wall. A special suture technique is used to control the size of the areola to prevent widening after surgery.
Risks of Breast Reduction Surgery:
- Loss of nipple sensation - may be temporary or permanent
- Poor scarring: breast reduction scars will take several months to reach their final appearance
- Poor wound healing (more common among smokers)
- Regrowth of enlarged breast, particularly common in very young patients with large breasts (Juvenile Hypertrophy)
This is a short list of risks. During your consultation Dr. Spence will discuss additional risks of breast reduction surgery and preventative measures one can take to minimize these risks.
Before & Afters
Request a Consultation
We would love to meet with you to discuss your specific goals and concerns. Contact our practice for more information or to schedule your appointment today.
Breast Augmentation Surgery
The choice to have a breast enhancement is a very personal one. Many women, whether from the United States or even the Caribbean, feel incomplete without the sensuality afforded by full, attractive breasts. This may be brought on following the changes associated with pregnancy or weight loss with a loss of breast volume. For these patients, breast augmentation is a very powerful operation, producing an enhancement of self-esteem and body image. Clothes fit better and are easier to find. It is important that you take the time to find the right surgeon for your breast augmentation, as your operation must be tailored to meet your needs. Contact Hillcrest Plastic Surgery today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Kenrick Spence. Also feel free to browse through our Breast Augmentation Before & After Photos.
Evaluation for Breast Enhancement in Orlando, Florida
- Evaluation of overall health
- Detailed examination of the breast and chest to identify any asymmetry which needs to be corrected
- A thorough discussion of all breast implant types, including:
- Teardrop breast implants
- Anatomic breast implants
- Silicone gel breast implants
- Textured breast implants
- High profile breast implants
- And more
- Selection of the right breast implant to enhance your bust line using chest wall measurements, evaluation of the skin thickness and breast volume.
Preparation for Breast Augmentation in Orlando, Florida
- Mammogram prior to surgery as needed
- Must stop smoking at least six weeks prior to surgery
- Must stop all blood thinning agents such as aspirin or vitamin E
Procedure: Breast Augmentation
Dr. Spence places a variety of breast implants, using different techniques, as he believes breast augmentation is as much an art as it is a science and the operation must be uniquely tailored to your needs.Options for breast implant placement include:
- Behind the muscle
- In front of the muscle
- Dual plane - partly behind the muscle and partly behind the breast tissue
In Dr. Spence's Orlando, Florida Breast Augmentation practice, implants may be placed through three different types of incision:
- A small incision in the armpit (using an endoscope)
- The fold of the breast
- Around the nipple
Breast Augmentation surgery takes approximately 1-2 hours and is performed under general anesthesia, on an outpatient basis.
Risks of Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Hardening of the breast (capsular contracture)
- Breast implant deflation
- Breast implant rippling
- Loss of nipple sensation
This is a short list of risks involved in breast augmentation surgery. During your consultation and consent processes at Dr. Spence's Orlando, Florida plastic surgery practice, Dr. Spence will review a more extensive list and precautions one can take to minimize these risks.
The FDA has approved saline implants for use in all patients for breast enlargements. Silicone gel implants can only be used in patients who qualify through special approved studies. You may talk with Dr. Spence during your consultation to determine if you are a candidate for silicone gel implants.