Body Lift Surgery
This web site page is dedicated to providing information on plastic surgery following gastric bypass or other massive weight loss. With an ever-increasing number of gastric bypass procedures performed today, along with more aggressive weight loss programs, many patients find themselves in need of extensive body contouring procedures. Following massive weight loss, the body undergoes significant deflation; the buttock and thighs fall from loss of volume, excess skin about the arms and abdomen, drooping breasts, and extensive stretch marks. These patients are generally highly motivated and yearn for a restoration of a youthful body contour. Dr. Spence has developed a significant practice of body contouring. His patients require a surgeon with extensive experience in this area, dedicated to seeing them through what will sometimes be multiple stages of surgery to achieve a body image of which they are proud. Schedule your consultation today at 407-999-2585 with Dr. Kenrick Spence at Hillcrest Plastic Surgery. Also feel free to browse through our Body Lift Before & After Photos.
Evaluation: Body Contouring Patient After Massive Weight Loss (Stomach Stapling)
- Evaluation of overall state of health
- Weight loss must have subsided
- Usually after 12 to 18 months
- Nutritionally stable
Preparation for Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Buttock Lift
- Medical clearance is needed
- Must stop all blood thinning agents at least 10 days prior to surgery
- e.g. aspirin, vitamin E
- Must stop smoking 6 to 8 weeks prior to surgery
- Get well hydrated prior to surgery
Evaluation for Cosmetic Surgery Following Gastric Bypass in Orlando, Florida
Evaluation and planning of body contouring surgery for the weight loss patient takes a significant amount of time. Often all anatomic landmarks have been distorted from descent of skin.
- Determining areas needing volume replacement versus excess skin removal, such as the thighs and abdomen
- Planning for upper body rejuvenation
- e.g. face, arms, and breasts
- Planning for lower body rejuvenation
- e.g. buttocks, thighs, and abdomen
- Determining areas needing volume replacement such as the buttocks versus excess skin removal
Procedure: Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Buttock Lift
Dr. Spence usually combines the buttocks lift and the lateral thigh lift in combination with tummy tucks. These procedures may take from 4 to 6 hours depending on the amount of excess skin. The medial thighs and arms are typically done as the second stage. Liposuction may be used in instances to create additional contour. Fat can be grafted to the buttock or creation of a buttock flap can be used to enhance buttock volume.
All attempts are made to utilize the shortest scars, hidden in a body crease where they are barely visible, whenever possible.
- Short scar arm lifts are performed whenever possible.
- Lower body lifts typically involve scars that extend circumferentially around the bikini line.
- Medial thigh scars can be concealed in the crease of the groin depending on the amount of excess skin; this incision may have to be extended down the thighs in very extreme cases.
- Breast lift scars are typically a lollipop scar or an anchor scar depending on the amount of drooping skin.
- Body scars take several months and sometimes as long as a year to reach their final appearance.
Recovery from Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Buttock Lift
Extensive body lift procedures may require a 1 to 2 day hospital stay with a 2 to 3 week recovery period. Drains are typically removed 5 to 7 days after surgery. Patients are encouraged to be up and walking several times per day.
Risks of Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Buttock Lift
- Seroma - fluid collection beneath the skin
- Poor wound healing (more common in diabetics and smokers)
- Poor scarring
- Clot formation in the legs (more common among smokers and those who take birth control pills)
During your consultation and consent process, other risks will be discussed by Dr. Spence.
Body contouring of the excess weight loss patient requires a practice that is used to taking care of the needs of these patients. To schedule a body lift consultation with Dr. Spence at the Hillcrest Plastic Surgery, call 407-999-2585 or request a consultation online.
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons News Release
"New Study Finds Significant and Lasting Improvement in Body Image Following Cosmetic Surgery" - Results of a new study showed patients have significant and sustained improvements in body image after surgery. The researchers found that patients experience a decrease in the frequency of negative body image emotions..... read more.
To see estimated fees, please visit this website's financing and fees page.