Many patients have complaints of a tired appearance, and coarse wrinkles located on the forehead and between and around the eyes (crows feet). Due to an increasingly hectic lifestyle, many people do not have the time to undergo or recover from a major surgical procedure to correct bands in the neck, low eyebrows, and lines around the mouth. These patients can improve these lines and wrinkles via a medical spa skin care treatment that requires no down time. BOTOX® Cosmetic in Orlando has been termed the penicillin of beauty in light of its multiple uses and the dramatic effects it produces on facial aging. Schedule your consultation today at 407-999-2585 with Dr. Kenrick Spence at Hillcrest Plastic Surgery. Also feel free to browse through our BOTOX® Cosmetic Before & After Photos.
How Does BOTOX® Cosmetic Work?
BOTOX® Cosmetic works by blocking the release of a chemical called acetylcholine that is released from nerve endings necessary to produce muscle activity. The blocking of this chemical release temporarily relaxes the muscles injected for typically 3 to 4 months. Muscle activity is a large part of what produces lines and wrinkles.
No Down-time Facial Rejuvenation: Patient receives Injectable
BOTOX® Cosmetic was approved by the FDA for the temporary improvement of frown lines between the eyes in patients less than 65 years of age. All other cases of BOTOX® are considered off label and are left to the clinical judgment of the physician after informing the patient and obtaining informed consent.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is not recommended in the following instances:
- Patient cannot have any infection at the injection site
- Not recommend during pregnancy
- Not recommended for patients with neurological disorders.
- e.g. Myasthenia Gravis, Lambert Eaton Syndrome, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Who is a Candidate for BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- Patients with coarse wrinkles of the forehead
- Patients with wrinkles around the eyes (crows feet)
- Patients with frown lines between the eyes
- Patients with wrinkles around the mouth
- Patients with downward turning of the corners of the mouth
- Patients with bands in the neck
- Patients with drooping eyebrows
- Patients with excessive sweating
The above are a lot of common uses of BOTOX® Cosmetic. BOTOX® Cosmetic is also used to treat a multitude of other condition such as migraine headaches and spasms around the eyes.
Patients with more severe sagging around the jaw, cheeks or brow may want to consider a more permanent solution, such as a face lift.
Preparation and Injection of BOTOX® Cosmetic
BOTOX® Cosmetic injections take approximately 15 minutes. Prior to receiving an injection, all blood thinning agents must be stopped for at least 5 days (e.g. aspirin, vitamin E) to minimize the risk of bruising. Dr. Spence will discuss using BOTOX® Cosmetic to shape your face, for example, raising the tail of the eyebrow to give you a more awake appearance. The injections are carried out with extremely fine needles and syringes to minimize any discomfort. A topical anesthetic is applied for a soothing effect. The patient is able to return to work immediately, but there should be no bending over for 4 hours following the injection and the patient should be careful not to massage the BOTOX® Cosmetic onto the upper eyelid.
Risks of BOTOX® Cosmetic
- Bruising - stop all blood thinning agents prior to injection
- Drooping of the eyelid, lazy eye
- Usually resolves within 2 weeks
- Asymmetry - may be corrected with additional BOTOX® Cosmetic
- Patient receives no effect from the BOTOX® Cosmetic injection- a small group of patients may develop antibodies to BOTOX® Cosmetic causing the BOTOX® Cosmetic not to work.
Dr. Spence will discuss additional potential side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic at the time of your consultation.
BOTOX® Cosmetic can have a dramatic effect on facial shaping, creating a refreshed look, opening the eyes, raising the brows, treating bands in the neck, and deep lines in the forehead. BOTOX® is often combined with fillers such as Restylane, Hylaform, and Radiesse, seeming to often lengthen the effects of these fillers. To schedule a BOTOX® Cosmetic consultation with Dr. Spence at Hillcrest Plastic Surgery, call 407-999-2585 or request a consultation online.
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons News Release
"BOTOX® Fact Sheet" - Since its FDA-approval for multiple neurological uses in 1989, BOTOX® has been used millions of times. Widely tested over two decades, BOTOX® has an excellent safety record. ..... read more.