The rhinoplasty procedure is a surgical face procedure that focuses on the appearance and function of the nose. Orlando, FL area patients who are looking to have this procedure done may have a lot of questions regarding what they should expect after the surgery. At Hillcrest Plastic Surgery, our doctors have developed a list of common recommendations that patients should follow closely to ensure proper healing of the area and the avoidance of complications such as infection.
What are some tips for a safe and healthy recovery following nose surgery?
Below are just a few recommendations from our team at Hillcrest Plastic Surgery of Orlando, Florida to help patients after their procedure:
- Keep the head elevated. Elevating the head will reduce swelling and facilitate faster healing, and is incredibly important in the first few days following surgery.
- Utilize ice packs. Using cold compresses on the nose during the first day after surgery will reduce bruising and relieve discomfort.
- Properly care for the incisions. If you have incision points, clean these areas with a wet cotton tip to remove any crusting and apply over-the-counter antibiotic ointment to prevent infection and maintain open airways.
- Take medications as directed. When patients follow their aftercare instructions from their doctor, they can manage discomfort properly. Many patients will benefit from over-the-counter medications to manage pain. If prescribed antibiotics, take them as instructed to ensure they work.
- Avoid blowing the nose. If at all possible, avoid blowing the nose. If you must, do so gently.
- Restrict strenuous activities. Patients who exercise regularly will want to minimize their activities for the first week and gradually return to their exercise habits as directed by the doctor.
- Take time off of work and social activities. Be sure to prepare in advance for taking downtime after the procedure to fully heal and allow bruising and swelling to run its course.
Schedule a visit with Dr. Kenrick A. Spence
Orlando, FL area patients interested in undergoing the rhinoplasty procedure may find themselves curious about the recovery process. If you would like to learn more, contact Hillcrest Plastic Surgery today to request a consultation. The office is located at 130 Hillcrest Street and can be reached by phone at (407) 999-2585.